Monday, August 26, 2013

Your new BFF - BreastFeedingFriend

Hi breastfeeding peeps! My name is Brandy Kirstein and I am a certified lactation counselor and a breastfeeding Mommy :) I work part time as at a hospital and doing home visits for lactation and LOVE IT! I love everything about breastfeeding with the exception of two things - how dang difficult it can be (especially at the beginning) and the lack of support and resources to help you through it. And, that, my friends is why I got into to biz. Before birth, I had this sort of ethereal, simplistic, expectation of happy babies and glowing Mommies while breastfeeding. I didnt even read any books on it ahead of time because it looks so easy - baby, booby, what else is there? And lets not for get the awesome postpartum weight loss plan that comes along with it, right? Right... After my first baby, Jax, I only breastfed for 6 weeks and then quit and went to formula. Why? Because my nipples were killing me to the point of toe-curling piercing pain throughout every feeding followed with several wrong diagnoses as to why - thrush, yeast infection (which led to nistatin for Jax and Diflucan for me for a MONTH!!!) and, did I mention, we never actually had it? Then, there was Reynaud's (also, something I did not have) with the answer there is nothing we can do but put you on medication that is harmful to your baby. What?!?!? The protein sensitivity which was a legit diagnosis for Jax, but that means no dairy, no soy, no nuts, no eggs, etc. at least until they are one year old. And even once I was off all that he was still reacting... Also, did I mention I was a megaproducer that leaked continuously and had to change breastpads every hour or two? And, as far as that weight loss plan was concerned, how about weight gain! So, yes, I quit. After my son was on Nutramigen formula his stool cleared up perfectly and the pressure was off, but I cried for three days feeling like a failed mother. And I still remember the looks of those judgmental people everytime I got out a bottle of formula. So, I went to a lactation training seminar, took some tests, got certified, and am now working to help mothers who need help. Because reality is, breastfeeding is HARD for almost everyone, especially at the beginning. This is why I have a job in the hospitals. If it was easy, they wouldn't need me. And, I'm happy to report that it does get better. In fact, if you can make it through the HARDNESS and come out on the other side, breastfeeding is not only easy, but one of the best experiences imaginable - happy babies, glowing Mommies :) My baby, Scarlett, now is 4 months old. And, even though I know more information and have lots of hands-on experience, it was hard at the beginning. My nipples were sore for the first two weeks at the beginning of feedings, but that went away to where now it even feels good or I hardly feel it at all. I still produce too much, have engorgement issues, and Scarlett is protein sensitive. BUT, this time, I know what I'm doing. I don't feel stressed out because I have a plan for everything that has come my way and I know where to get the info I need for thing I don't know. And that is what I want for every BF Mommy. I want to you to have chubby babies, healthy breasts, and a happy life. So, as your new friend, I'm going to tell you the truth about breastfeeding and what to expect as a professional, and as one Mommy to another. May God bless you through this journey of milk and honeys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment